About the Organization
CLASP’s mission is to improve the energy and environmental performance of the appliances & equipment we use every day, accelerating our transition to a more sustainable world.
We serve as the leading international voice and resource for appliance energy efficiency policies and market acceleration initiatives. From advancing the off-grid solar technologies that bring power to energy-impoverished people, to cutting the catastrophic climate impacts of air conditioning, CLASP programs increase uptake of affordable, low-impact, high-quality appliances. Learn more about our programs here: https://clasp.ngo/programs
We’re mission-driven, impacts-focused, and committed to a culture of diversity, transparency, and collaboration. See our Team Page to learn more about our organization.
Senior Communications Associate
CLASP is seeking a talented communications professional who is ready to take their experience to the next level with our growing team. The candidate will work closely with the Chief of Communications, who oversees communications, fundraising, donor management, organizational outreach, and high-level support for thought leadership on behalf of a highly matrixed organization with offices, projects, and programs around the world.
A successful candidate will demonstrate dedication to CLASP’s mission and theory of change and understand how an impactful communications portfolio can further that mission. They’ll manage a pipeline of stories and analytical pieces to show the full and evolving picture of CLASP’s work through our digital platforms (websites, newsletters, social media), outreach, and donor communications. They will be responsible a variety of internal and external communications functions, including:
• Managing and executing communications projects;
• Creating and overseeing content development;
• Assisting with thought leadership;
• Project managing and improving reporting, fundraising, and other donor management;
• Maintaining and improving communications infrastructure (e.g. websites, CRM and list management); and
• Leading organizational outreach and communications, and supporting program-specific outreach and communications as needed.
The successful candidate will be an excellent writer, have the skills to convey information through writing, graphics, and visual storytelling, and know how to turn complex ideas into impactful and concise narratives.
CLASP is a fast-paced, international, and highly collegial work environment. The right candidate will be able to move creatively and strategically from idea to implementation, know how to prioritize and re-prioritize in a fast-paced work environment, move between the small details and the big picture with skill, bring well-honed listening and interpersonal skills, and have the ability to filter many streams of information for the best process or end product.
The Senior Associate will support a number of key projects with a variety of deliverables. Examples of work products include (but are not limited to):
• Managing & Executing Communications Projects: Annual reports, videos, organizational brochures, etc.
• Creating Content & Overseeing Content Development: CLASP needs vibrant storytelling to share the impacts of our work. You’ll work across teams and programs to showcase our core currencies – smart analysis, impactful programs, meaningful collaboration – and show the broader impact of our work.
o CLASP newsletters – develop monthly CLASP newsletters that reflect organization-wide progress, wins, and developing trends / thought leadership in the sectors in which we work.
o Website – work with program teams to develop editorial content about their programs and projects.
o Must have demonstrated experience developing editorial processes with subject matter experts and teams to get the best results.
• Proposal Development and Donor Reporting: At CLASP, we fundraise so that we can lead a dynamic research agenda to support our cutting-edge work, ensuring that our programs have meaningful impact. We are committed to and believe in the work that we are doing, so we fundraise a lot, and everyone is involved.
o Must have demonstrated experience writing for a donor audience and leading an editorial process with subject matter experts and teams on reporting or fundraising.
• Digital Media Management & Engagement: CLASP manages five unique web platforms and related social media accounts. Our websites (and related social media presences) should be living, breathing, evolving organisms. Make sure they reflect our core currencies – smart analysis, impactful programs, meaningful collaboration – and that everything falls from and under these values.
o Collaborate across communications and program teams to:
Identify new opportunities to drive CLASP’s brand and message through its websites;
Operationalize new opportunities by developing and maintaining website editorial calendars;
Ensure that websites reflect latest programmatic developments (i.e. update changes in jargon, capture new stories or impacts, always ask “what else?”); and
Use Google Analytics to gauge necessary changes.
o CLASP Twitter feeds – develop forward-thinking and coherent social media strategy across different feeds; ensure leverage and de-duplication; know about and develop content that grows our follower base and creates community.
Manage CLASP and partner organization social media feeds.
Manage/conduct twice-monthly calls with representatives from each CLASP project to build content for Twitter, Instagram, and stories for the websites and newsletters.
Research innovative ways to communicate our brand through digital media.
Track metrics to measure content popularity and impact over time.
• Maintaining & Improving Communications Infrastructure: CLASP works through a variety of subcontractors. We collaborate often with graphic designers, copy editors, photo editors, other communications and fundraising consultants, and CLASP’s program teams and subcontractors to ensure quality, accurate, and timely knowledge exchanges.
o Manage all contracting and oversee vendor management for the communications team:
Collaborate across teams to bring together essential information (i.e. timelines, scope of work, budget); and
Build trusting relationships with vendors – be a reliable resource and represent CLASP culture.
o CLASP Lists Management – CLASP just upgraded its list management system. Design and maintain a sustainable, organization-wide standard operating procedure to maintain the Zoho CRM:
Identify and train key staff members on their responsibilities to maintain Zoho CRM.
Collaborate with key programmatic and operational team members to make decisions on web software and support tools.
The Ideal Candidate
• 3-5 years of previous communications experience
• Bachelor’s degree (relevant field preferred)
• Strong writer; must be able to write about technical content without getting bogged down in the weeds or conversely losing the potency of the content
• Good visual eye; must be able to reproduce CLASP and CLASP family of brands across multi-media.
• Effective project management and team coordination skills; knows how to work through people to get results and can own processes across teams
• Track record of success leading a reporting and/or fundraising process with multiple subject matter experts and/or across a matrixed team
• Excellent written communication skills; proven ability in being able to take complex, technical ideas and turn them into compelling stories in a variety of formats: web, print publications, briefing papers, digital media, and social media all a plus; experience writing funding proposals ideal
• Strong time management and organizational skills with ability to manage multiple tasks and projects at a time under deadline while managing other colleagues
• Confident and polished verbal communication skills; ability to connect with and influence people in a diverse, international work environment
• Strong work ethic and an ability to take initiative; a drive to learn and grow on the job
• Ability to travel in both developed and developing countries; international experience preferred; bilingual or multilingual a plus
• Ability to work from the big picture to the small details
• Ability to maintain composure, flexibility, and a sense of humor under tight deadlines.
• Intellectual agility and a commitment to professional development
• Professional experience in business development and/or program administration; experience in the energy efficiency, renewable energy, energy management or analogous sectors preferred; familiarity with technical, economic, market and/or policy analysis of these sectors and/or qualitative research methods is ideal
• Proficiency in Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, Microsoft PowerPoint, and Word; experience with HTML and CSS a plus
Compensation and Location
Salary is commensurate with experience. In addition to salary, CLASP offers competitive benefits, including health insurance, unlimited leave, holidays, retirement plan, and a collegial office environment that supports wellness and flexible telecommuting options after a certain period of employment.
These positions are full-time and based in the organization's Washington, D.C. office. Occasional travel (domestic and international), as well as evening or weekend hours, may be required.
CEA Recruiting is assisting CLASP in its recruitment efforts. To be considered for a position, interested candidates must follow the link below to submit a resume, cover letter, writing sample, and salary requirements through CEA’s job portal. The writing sample should demonstrate how you can turn technical information into engaging copy and be no more than two pages. Please direct all applications and inquiries to CEA Recruiting. These positions will remain open until filled.
CLASP is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or veteran status.
CEA Recruiting works with leading environmental nonprofits, foundations, and businesses to recruit top talent and design effective organizational staffing strategies. For more information, visit www.cearecruiting.com.
Click here to apply
Please mention that you saw the job on EcoGeek